Dear Paros Supporter,
Saying 2020 has been a difficult year is an understatement! Our homeland faced an unimaginable combination of hurdles and tragedies beginning with the Covid-19 pandemic – which claimed many lives, destroyed businesses and debilitated the economy – followed by the Azeri attacks on the Tavush Region and then later, the war on Artsakh. We are ending the year with tens of thousands of our brothers and sisters displaced from the war as refugees.
We are grateful to the Paros community for coming together and supporting our important projects. YOU helped make our response to the Azeri attacks on Armenia and Artsakh a reality! Immediate relief, resettlement and reconstruction are our priorities. To date, we have:
- Delivered 1,100 warm winter field coats and 200 warm winter pants for use by volunteer defenders.
- Purchased and airlifted critical medical equipment for both field and hospital use including defibrillators, mobile ultrasound equipment, electrosurgical units and other needed supplies.
- Purchased and delivered 160 gas heater cookers for use by refugees and volunteer defenders.
- Delivered three large winter tents to volunteer defenders on the border.
- Provided emergency relief to nine families in the form of lodging, food and/or supplies.
- Donated more than $108,000 to support the pan-community effort for Armenia Fund USA.
- Launched the reconstruction of a 24-unit apartment building in Aygepar, and a home in Nerkin Karmir Aghbyur (NKA) both shelled by the Azeris.
- Made immediate repairs to the Aygepar kindergarten, which was also shelled by the Azeris.
We have launched our Refugee Resettlement Program for families who have lost their homes in Artsakh and cannot or are not willing to return – to resettle them into a renovated home in Armenia – complete with an economic opportunity for them to live and work.
Progress was also made on many of our other projects including:
- Construction work on village schools in Zorakan, Verin Getashen, and Nerkin Karmir Aghbyur (NKA) and on Abovyan 8, Nork 106, and Yerevan 154.
- Construction on kindergartens in Achajur, NKA, Nor Geghi, Paruyr Sevak, Varagavan, Paravakar and the addition of the Glen Klanian Memorial Footbridge in Baghanis.
- Operation of the Debi Arach Children’s Center in Gyumri.
- Economic projects including Armenia Support Fund Covid-19 small business grants, Aygepar Business Incubator and our Pilot Orchard Project in NKA.
- Feeding 800 senior and at-risk residents during the pandemic via our #FeedingArmenia – Tavush project.
- Rebuilding a home in NKA via our Border Home Repair program.
- Moving our 25th family as part of our Purchase a Home project in Gyumri.
If 2020 and the difficulties we faced taught us anything, it is that “together, we are stronger.” We appreciate our partnership and collaboration with The Organization for Humanitarian Services for Armenia (Developmental Services for Armenia), Focus on Children Now, Musical Armenia, GOALs, Armenia Tree Project, Shirak Center NGO and the Armenia Support Fund.
Our nation needs us to remain engaged. Join our efforts to help resettle the tens of thousands of refugees that are now homeless and looking for a new start, or risk them emigrating to Russia or the U.S. to pursue economic opportunities. Thank you again for your continued support of our nation and our work.
As the year draws to a close, on behalf of our staff in the US and Armenia, I would like to extend to you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
Although the year is coming to a close we are still working to help the many displaced families that have lost their homes as there is still lots of work left to do. Join us as we continue to help our brothers and sisters in Armenia and Artsakh!