Kick Like a Girl!
Girls of Armenia Leadership Soccer (GOALS) is the only NGO working across Armenia to use sports for social change outside the classroom. Girls who play sports exhibit higher confidence levels, better mental health, improved teamwork and communication skills, increased graduation rates, and leadership skills. GOALS directly impacts more than 2,500 girls and boys in 65 communities.
Meet Tatevik Movsisyan. The first player from a GOALS league to join the Armenian Women’s Under-19 National Team. Tatevik’s passion for soccer began when she was eight years old watching boys play soccer in their village field and dreamt of taking part in it. However, it seemed like an impossible dream for her because of the stereotypes in her village. Then, at the age 11, she was nominated best soccer player in her village during a soccer tournament. Shortly thereafter, she joined the GOALS Achajur team. It was strange at first for the village to accept the idea of a girls’ team. As the league continued, her father even observed her practices and started to recognize her skills, slowly changing his mentality. Since GOALS arrived, there has been a transformation in her village. More girls want to join the team and boys accept and encourage girls to play soccer. Tatevik feels more confident and dedicated. She wants to continue her studies in sports and soccer, with a dream of becoming a referee. Without GOALS, she does not think she would have these opportunities or aspirations.
Thank you to all our donors, we have met our fundraising goal.
All donations for this fundraiser will help GOALS create the opportunity for young girls to reach their goals, both in soccer and in life.Your donations will fund existing leagues, camps, teams and players, as well help to expand into new rural areas across Armenia. Your contribution will also help train more coaches in the use of “sport for social impact” curriculum in Armenia.
Through your generous donations GOALS will:
● Cover all costs related to the leagues: travel, referees, nurses, and venue spaces, and all the equipment needed to hold training sessions (jerseys, socks, footballs, cones and pinnies).
● Permit girls to travel to Yerevan to be a part of competitive matches and cross-cultural events, introducing local youth to diaspora Armenians and exposing participants to different perspectives and ideas, and broadening their horizons.
● Support tournaments between the regions to motivate girls to increase their soccer skill levels and increase their confidence in participating in tournaments outside of their region.
● Empower a new generation of leaders to take New Armenia forward by creating a network of strong girls in the region and allowing them to build new friendships, teamwork, and skills to compete.
● Provide professional training and guidance in media (sports journalism), coaching and refereeing, allowing young people to practice their skills and get experience in the scope of GOALS programs across Armenia.
Sponsor a League- $3,000
GOALS leagues are designed to give young women aged 12-17 from under-resourced areas the chance to play soccer and build confidence and teamwork skills, as well as change public perception of women’s participation in sports. The annual cost of a league is approximately $3,000, which will fund:
● Equipment for the teams (jerseys, socks, footballs, cones, and pinnies for an entire league)
● Training with coach minimum once a week (minimum 1 hour)
● Traveling costs
● Venue space
Currently, GOALS has soccer leagues in 7 regions of Armenia: Yeghegnadzor, Alaverdi, Goris, Dilijan, Artik, Armavir and Gegharkunik.
Sponsor a Camp – $1,500
GOALS soccer leadership summer camps are implemented in impoverished rural areas in order to excite the community,motivate the girls to continue playing soccer, and challenge existing steretypes within the communities.
GOALS Summer camps consist of :
● Sport-for-social-impact games addressing gender equity, tolerance, diversity, human rights and healthy lifestyle
● Technical drills
● Leadership seminar (Guest speakers)
● Nutritious lunch
Camps bring together communities whose residents often don’t interact and spark the interest that leads to more GOALS programming in the region. Since 2016 GOALS has conducted 10 camps impacting more than 500 girls and boys.
Sponsor a Team – $500
Teams are designed to help girls build new friendships, teamwork, and skills to compete. Teams have the opportunity to travel to Yerevan and participate in cross-cultural events.
Each team needs :
● Traveling costs
We currently have 42 teams and will be creating at least ten in the coming year. Sponsoring a team supports these needs for two full seasons/one year.
Sponsor a Player – $50
Sponsoring a player is an easy way to make a big impact through a small donation. This donation will pay for one girl’s uniform, socks, and travel to competitive games.
You can visit the GOALS website to find out more about how your charitable contributions are helping GOALS to spread their impact: www.goalsarmenia.org
GOALS needs supporters of every kind — donations, fundraiser sponsors, and volunteers. If you are interested or have questions about where and how GOALS works we encourage you to contact GOALS directly at Lorik@goalsarmenia.org.